Saturday, March 20, 2010

Let's All Claim the Power of Deeming

If the House of Reprehensibles has the power to enact legislation by deeming a bill to have passed without having voted on it, everyone of us should claim equal powers -- for example, I have sent in my census form without marking anything on it or responding to any of the questions it contains. I have submitted it with a note stating that "In accordance with the Slaughter Rule, I deem that as of April 1, 2010, I will have fully and accurately answered the questions contained herein." And I am considering sending a blank tax return to the IRS with a note stating that "In accordance with the Slaughter Rule, I deem that I have (i) fully and accurately completed the accompanying form, and (ii) paid in full the tax called for by it." Deeming is great and, if our overlords can use it, the rest of us should be able to do so as well.

No comments: