Friday, July 22, 2011

When Insults Had Class

These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to four letter words:

 A member of Parliament to Disraeli: Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir, said Disraeli, whether I embrace 
your policies or your mistress.

 He had delusions of adequacy. - Walter Kerr

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices 
I admire. - Winston Churchill

I have never killed a man, but I have read many 
obituaries with great pleasure. Clarence Darrow

 He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary. - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll 
waste no time reading it. - Moses Hadas

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying 
I approved of it. - Mark Twain

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked 
by his friends. - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second 
. . . if there is one. - Winston Churchill, in response.

I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here. - Stephen Bishop

He is a self-made man and worships his creator.
 - John Bright

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope 
it's nothing trivial. - Irvin S. Cobb

 He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness 
in others. - Samuel Johnson

He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up. 
- Paul Keating

In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always 
yielded easily. - Charles, Count Talleyrand

He loves nature in spite of what it did to him. 
- Forrest Tucker

Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it? - Mark Twain

His mother should have thrown him away and 
kept the stork. - Mae West

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts
. . . for support rather than illumination. 
- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

He has Van Gogh's ear for music. - Billy Wilder

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this 
wasn't it. - Groucho Marx

No comments: