Tuesday, June 28, 2011

We All Need To Sacrifice Though Perspectives Vary

Please accept my apology in advance for the following about an unpleasant subject. I tried very hard not to do it, but because it helped my perspective and made me feel much better, I thought perhaps it would do as much for you. It's tough, but we all need to do our part.

By making sacrificial and proportional cuts in your own personal budget, you can appreciate that budget cutting really cuts to the quick. The President ordered the cabinet to cut a whopping $100 million from the $3.5 trillion federal budget. That's a lot of money.

I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to do the same thing with my personal budget. I spend about $3,000 a month on fuel, groceries, insurance, utilities, etc. etc., and now it's time to get out my budget cutting axe, go line by line through my expenses, and get to work.

I'm going to cut my spending at exactly the same ratio as the President - 1/35,000 of my total budget. After doing the math, it looks like instead of spending $3,000 a month; I'm going to have to cut that number downward by eight cents.

Yes, I know that is a lot and I must somehow get by with $2,999.92, but that is what sacrifice is all about.

The President has requested that we get some of our own skin in the game with everyone else. So we'll just have to do without some things, that are, quite frankly, luxuries those eight cents normally buy us. Guess I'll have to put a little less vermouth in my martini or give up lemon in my wife's gin and tonic. I know it will be a tough decision.

Hope this helps brighten your day ... and gives you a little better understanding of just how serious our President is.

Meanwhile, by the way, our first lady, La Belle Michelle, is doing her bit, by having held the cost of her just completed taxpayer funded African sojourn to a miserly sum estimated at just about a  half a million bucks . . . plus, of course, another paltry $430,000 or so in her aircraft operating costs.

Feeling better about shared sacrifices now?

No comments: